Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The 1000th post

According to the Blogger dashboard, this is my 1000th post on Eye on Cricket. It has taken me a bloody long time. I started Eye on Cricket in December 2004 (inspired by Amit Varma's 23 Yards over at Cricinfo). I posted twice in December 2004: the first post was a discussion of the India-Australia series (including the reproduction of an email to my friend Joe in Sydney), and the second was a quirky complaint about Indian batsmen. Then I didn't post for a whole year. I think that is a record in bloggin absences that will take some beating.

I started blogging again in December 2005 (with a tongue in cheek post wondering how long it would take before Danish Kaneria would convert to Islam.) Returning to blogging was helped by my purchasing a subscription to watch the Australia-RSA series on broadband video. Having live cricket at hand helped writing, as did the Ganguly furore. Since then, I have blogged on and off, sometimes with gaps as long as a couple of weeks induced by laziness and disorganization, sometimes longer because of vacations. I've thought of packing up the blog at times as I feel like it has taken on a life of its own, but instead, I've started blogging more. First at Cricinfo's Different Strokes and now at the Faster Times Cricket page. I write longer pieces for those blogs and shorter ones here. When I'm watching a match I tend to write more here; little short expostulations if you will. I'm sometimes intemperate in what I say. I'm pretty positive that those displays of intemperateness will happen here.

I've enjoyed all the discussions I've had here with all of the folks that have read and commented. I haven't been a good blogger in responding to comments speedily enough, and I deeply regret that. Thanks very much for reading and for commenting. I've also had a great time interacting with other bloggers (who show up in my blogroll to the right). I've learned a great deal from these folks. The standard of cricket writing available on blogs is very high; it says something about how the world of cricketing journalism has changed that I run to read blogs, not newspapers, after a game is over.

I'm not sure, after all these years, what I think of blogging. Perhaps its all just sound bites. But that can't be, because some bloggers I know produce very thoughtful, sensible, well-constructed pieces (like Homer over at Two Cents, who can become quasi-academic as he rushes off to establish a particularly keenly felt point, or David Mutton at Silly Mid-off, who is also amazingly prolific). I'd like to produce those kinds of posts all the time. But sometimes, like I said, all I can do is expostulate. Perhaps this is a distraction from the 'real work' I should be doing. But sometimes this helps me deal with day to day responsibilities.

In the end, blogging on cricket has let me stay in touch with the game I love the most, and with others who love the game. That is all it was supposed to do, I think. And for that I'm truly grateful.

Please keep reading and commenting.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Gaurav Sethi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:20 PM  
Blogger Gaurav Sethi said...

Bring it on Samir, for the 1001th time. Cheers boss.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Homer said...

Congratulations Samir.... Drinks are on you :)

Cheers,

2:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

:-)

I repeat--good cricket writing is the rarest element in the universe. Keep it up!

2:57 PM  
Anonymous Krish said...

Congrats, Samir

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Satish Srinivasan said...

Congrats, Samir.

TBH, Cricket writing has become boring and monotonous with certain clichés repeated again and again, whether its newspaper articles or stuff that gets posted on websites.

Your blogs provide much more than a different view-- there is a certain personality (taste) that is lacking in articles from cricket cynics and journalists who cover the game.

(I actually want to grep through cricinfo articles of this year and generate some stats on what phrases get used more... (and publish a parody cricket writers' dictionary))

Thanks and keep 'em coming!

satish

9:58 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Naked: When it starts feeling like work, I'll stop! Cheers.

Homer: Thanks - I could use a drink or two right about now.

JK: Thanks! Much appreciated.

Krish: Thanks!

Satish: No doubt, cliches run rampant in sports writing. I think its one reason why the match report has become so difficult to write and why bloggers can provide a much needed change in perspective.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Som said...

Congrats! No mean task, indeed.

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats for reaching 1000 posts!

3:01 AM  
Blogger Megha said...

Congratulations!! Here's to another 1000, but in lesser time :)

7:28 AM  
Blogger Shailesh said...

Congratulations Samir!
Always enjoy your writings - have also blogrolled you.
Keep up the great work!

7:58 AM  
Blogger Thiru Cumaran said...

Samir, keep the good work going. Frankly, I'm finding great blogs like your's, Michael Jeh's @ Different strokes and Brian Carpenter's @ Different Shades of Green, as well as JRod and a number of other blogs more interesting to read than stupid pieces by the likes of David Gower and Nas Hussain!

Continue the great work...don't worry about the absences of posting...all what matters is that you come up with a good post when you do post!

Cheers!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Som: Thanks very much.

GB: Thanks - I'd have liked to have been more regular but this isn't bad :)

Megha: Heres to your 1000! Go for it- and yes, I'll try and do the next 1000 quicker :)

Shailesh: Welcome to the blog and thanks!

CT: Thats nice to hear; I've always tried to reassure myself that I'm providing quantity, not quality :)

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Samir, days @ work are bearable lately with your posts here and @ cricinfo. Heres to next 1000 in a quicker time span.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Jrod said...

Well played sir.

4:04 PM  
Blogger straight point said...

congrats samir...

its indeed a way to stay in touch with game we all love...specially at times when playing outdoor is very rare...

1:41 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Root: If I can make work bearable, then I'm not doing something right :) I'd like to subvert the evil capitalist system, not make it more tolerable! :) But thanks very much for the good wishes.

JRod: Thanks very much. Its taken far too long but at least I haven't shut down the blog.

SP: Thanks. Its what gets me through the NY winters..

5:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The blogger dashboard counts unpublished drafts also in the number of posts. So if you have any.. it might not have been a "post" per se, as there might not be 1000 publicly viewable posts :

2:19 PM  
Blogger Sriram Dayanand said...

Keep it up Samir. Always a pleasure reading your articles and blogs..

9:13 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Anonymous: Now you tell me! Yargh. Let me go check.

Sriram: Thanks, much appreciated!

9:53 AM  
Blogger bathmate said...

Awesome writing ,good job



Bathmate

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home