Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Sport and War in Melbourne

Sports and war are often linked, and not just by metaphor. The State Library of Victoria is putting on a traveling exhibition titled, what else, Sports and War, which explores other dimensions of this relationship. Some excerpts from the announcement (you'll see why this is on a cricket blog):
This inspiring free exhibition explores what it means to be Australian by examining the relationship between sport and war - two key factors in our culture and national identity...Sport and War tells remarkable stories of courage and achievement, revealing the importance of sport to Australians serving overseas, as well as the wartime experiences of some of our most-loved sporting stars. The display includes evocative relics from wartime sporting history, such as...the little-known wartime medals of cricketing legend Donald Bradman....Sport and War tells the stories of famous sporting personalities whose lives and careers were affected (and sometimes ended) by war - from Keith Miller’s career-boosting performances in the 1945 Victory Tests to the tragic loss of Aussie Rules star Keith ‘Bluey’ Truscott and others. Test cricketer Bert Oldfield, boxer Les Darcy and footballer Ron Barassi Snr are among the other champions featured.
Given that I'm both a military history and sports fan, this'd be the place to be for me. But I can't go. So someone else, please do, and let me know how it was. Send me a photo or two.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jrod said...

If I get time before I leave I will go for you.

I really want to know what medals physical fitness instructor Don Bradman earned.

Les Darcy was a legend i just finished reading a book on why he decided to leave for America rather than fight in the army, great story.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Jrod: Excellent. Thanks! I'm intrigued by the DGB medal business as well. I don't recollect him ever being in active combat. Whats the title/author for the Darcy book?

6:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home