Thursday, June 26, 2008

My two bits

Let me just clarify my reaction to the business of the colliding bowler and batsman: Collingwood didn't violate the spirit-of-cricket (whatever that is). He simply violated the spirit of "there are some things which if done, increase the probability you will be viewed as an idiot by lots of reasonable people". The set of these things is not necessarily disjoint with "the set of things you might want to do in case you want to win a cricket match". Collingwood chose to; now, we're all free to judge him. Isn't life great?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jrod said...

Anytime a major cricket controversy happens life is great.

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think violating spirit of the law is as bad as breaching the law itself. Of course spirit would remain a matter of how you perceive it. But my take is simple -- if you decide to throw ethics, niceties and morality to the wind, all you are left with is an ugly world. If I have to watch just how a chunk of wood comes hard on a hunk of leather and sets it on a orbit overhead, I would stick to PlayStation or watch selected baseball clippings. I thought it's aesthetics and unpredictability of cricket that sets it apart.

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home