Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The first (or third) casualty

MS Dhoni has requested a break from the test series against Sri Lanka. Poor chap, all that hard work for the Chennai Super Kings has really tired him out. Or was it the Asia Cup? As my tone indicates, its tempting to get aggravated about this and complain about the evil ODI and T20 schedule that is keeping the best players from playing the highest form of the game. But I'm optimistic. Perhaps Karthik will seize this opportunity and make it hard for Dhoni to get back in the test side. Dhoni has lost the plot as a test batsman, and while I haven't seen enough of Karthik as a wicketkeeper to compare him adequately to Dhoni, I have high hopes that he can match him.

4 Comments:

Blogger Som said...

I think MSD is secure enough to afford this sabbatical. Karthik and Parthiv have impressed more in front of stumps, than behind.

11:57 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Som: I agree Karthik and Parthiv have done better in front than behind. Indeed, I'm struck by how good a keeper Dhoni has become. In terms of pure keeping he's ahead of both Karthik and Patel.

6:35 AM  
Blogger John said...

Samir,
I haven't seen enough of Parthiv's recent keeping to make a proper assesment, but the word is that he has become much much better. Dhoni's situation might soon be compoarable to that of Collingwood - the ODI captain is the person holding on to a Test spot by the faintest of threads. Collingwood has to contend with Shah and Bopara, Dhoni with Kartik. Both have managed to do that for the time being, but for how much longer?

7:47 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

John, if either Patel or Karthik can show some wicketkeeping chops, I'd be happy to see Dhoni out of the test side. He looks out of his depth in tests when it comes to batting. Patel and Karthik have always impressed me as bats.

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home