Thursday, October 25, 2007

Two idiotic headlines

Faithful readers of this blog (all three of them) will have noted that I'm not particularly fond of Cricinfo. (I'm going to go ahead and flatter myself into thinking the feeling is mutual). But in keeping with my slightly forensic tendencies, I present some more evidence for the conclusion that CI is a pretty crappy news organization. The headline for Jenny Thompson's piece on Dilhara Fernando (which is titled "Fernando relishing Australian Challenge" on the page inside), reads "I want to target everyone". When you read the piece in question you find out that Fernando said that as a joking response to the question of who he would be targeting a la McGrath. Next, the headline for the piece written by Kumar Sangakkara is simply "We need to annoy the opposition". When you read the piece, you find out it occurs in the following context:
An ugly fifty or ugly hundred when you're struggling is more valuable than a century in a session. We need to take up time and annoy the opposition.
(Ah, and you were thinking it was about sledging?). Sigh; with friends like this etc.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice. I thought there was something off with those headlines but didn't know quite what till I read the post.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Hey Mukul, good to see you here. How is Jamia treating you these days? I'm swamped with teaching! Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. I found it interesting that with all the hype about sledging, there was this straightforward attempt to hype it up even further!

PS: Still working on your review. Plan to finish it very soon! :)

4:31 PM  
Blogger Stuart said...

Poor old Cricinfo - the cracks are starting to appear. The only thing I used to use them for (stats) has basically been superceded by http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk as it has all first class games as well.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Jrod said...

great minds think a like samir

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was also taken in by the title.

BTW, Sangakkara is actually Kumara Sangakkara is'nt it?

6:51 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Stuart: Thanks for pointing me to cricketarchive.co.uk - indeed, excellent stuff.

JRod: Thats what scares me.

Ottayan: I think you're right.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Soulberry said...

Their only passable reporting is confined to their West Indian section. Unreadable otherwise these days.

4:58 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

CI's biggest problem is that they believe their own hype.

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home