Thursday, October 11, 2007

And meanwhile, across the border

In the midst of all this talk about sledging in the India-Australia series, a very interesting test series has been taking place in Pakistan. South Africa seem poised to win the series 1-0 or 2-0. They've done it through attritional batting, and their usual high-quality outcricket. Pakistan have suffered from not having Yousuf (I still don't understand his excuses for not playing in the first test), the Inzi return, the strange selection of two spinners (does anyone else think that a bowling line-up of Gul, Asif and Tanvir would have been a real handful?), and some shaky captaincy. Fortunately for the quality of the test series in India, I expect all these problems to have been sorted out by the time Pakistan arrive in India. The timings of the tests will play havoc on my body but its hard to miss tests against Pakistan. India will need some battle-hardening in test matches before they head off to Australia, and they couldn't have asked for a better match-up than against Pakistan. The conditions will be very difficult but hopefully, the new captain will get some experience under his belt in the often cauldron-like conditions of home games.

5 Comments:

Blogger Stuart said...

As a neutral, I am really looking forward to the upcoming series. While the South African series has been a bit of a debacle, it will be interesting to see how the next one plays out. Hope to see good competitive cricket from both sides - I love test cricket!

2:03 AM  
Blogger Jrod said...

I think i've worked out why Pakistan always lose to South Africa, they fall asleep from boredom.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Samir. Generally speaking you write very well. Also had a look at your CV, you are a really clever guy!

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Samir,

You seriously expect Pakistan to be competitive in the Test series against India?

Cheers

8:26 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Stuart: I think it'll be a cracker - especially if the pitches aren't duds.

JRod: Yeah, I think RSA is a little too attritional for my liking. I miss the days of Donald - he did bring a little sparkle into the side.

Anonymous: Thanks :) C'mon don't be shy, let us know you are :)

Homer: Why not? They'll pick themselves up for a series against India for sure. Their batting can still do some damage; and I think that bowling line-up I named if picked, could very easily pick up some early wickets. My guess is that you are writing them off because of batting worries; fair enough, but I think there is promise there. I'd pick India to win, but I don't think it'll be straightforward.

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home