Friday, March 24, 2006

Strong language

If non-Indian readers want to get a sampling of the kind of over-the-top response that can sometimes greet Indian cricketing failures, check this out. And then, read this response, which rightly takes it to task.

I personally get wierded out when people start bringing in the language of shame, humiliation, black days, mourning, and so on into cricket journalism. I wish Cricinfo would drop that sort of language from its headlines but they persist (mainly, they like to use "humble" and "humiliate"). And it seems like its endemic the world over (I wonder if I've used it in my blog - I sure as hell hope not, for I remember commenting on how Pakistani journalists seemed to overuse it!). Cricket is not just a game, agreed, but, I hope folks can get some perspective on things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home