Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Back in Business?

Things have been, shall we say, a tad slow here at Eye on Cricket. I notice that the last post went up more than a month ago, which is a bit shocking. But not really that surprising. The academic year started, classes kicked off, and I became more busy. But that's not all. I also finished my book manuscript then, and sent it off to the publishers. And at that stage, I realized that I was really, truly, sick and tired of writing about modern cricket and needed to take a break. Writing a book uses the brain cells as blogging, and I was saturated. (To be honest, I've become sick and tired of following modern cricket on the Internet; the endless bickering about the same old issues again and again is wearing me out).

I haven't entirely idle of course; I've been blogging at The Pitch at Cricinfo, and in the past few weeks have put up: a piece on how the modern cricketing archive enables the cross-checking of one's childhood memories; a celebration of discovering old cricket books on a trip back to India; a tribute to Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi; my tuppence on the recent Akhtar-Tendulkar imbroglio; and lastly, a note on a particularly obsessive manifestation of cricketing fandom.

I will still be blogging regularly at The Pitch, and with this post, hope to get back to more regular blogging. I'm recovering slowly from my sated feeling (I couldn't bring myself to write anything about the Champions T20 tourney for instance).

8 Comments:

Blogger David Mutton said...

Welcome back! I was going to drop you a line to suggest watching one of the upcoming ODIs but as they a) don't appear to be on Willow and b) take place at a despicably early hour it is not looking very promising.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

David, good to hear from you again. Yes, the hours are very bad and they aren't on Willow (it seems like Willow, ironically, has lost rights for India games in India!). I have Willow hooked up to my TV at home so perhaps one of these days we can watch cricket in relative comfort.

2:25 PM  
Blogger David Mutton said...

It actually appears to be on the BCCI's website - http://www.bcci.tv - which is pretty interesting in itself. I am unlikely to be up at 4am to watch the opening overs though.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Kunal Talgeri said...

Hey Samir, my name is Kunal and I follow your posts on Cricinfo. I live in Bangalore, and work as a writer in a business magazine. Would be nice to be in touch. I did not find an e-mail ID to reach you -- want to know more about your cricket book. Also, I thought you may like this, if you haven't seen it yet: http://unboxedwriters.com/2011/10/yesi-am-salim-durrani/#.TpeXcCypzb8.facebook

11:22 PM  
Blogger Kunal Talgeri said...

Hey Samir, my name is Kunal and I read your posts on Cricinfo. I live in Bangalore, and work as a writer in a business magazine. I could not find an e-mail address to reach you--want to know more about your book. Also, I thought you may like this, if you haven't seen it yet: http://unboxedwriters.com/2011/10/yesi-am-salim-durrani/#.TpeXcCypzb8.facebook

11:23 PM  
Anonymous Cricket Gossips said...

Welcome back... waiting for the new posts

6:51 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

David: I was intrigued to find the BCCI streaming it too. That calls for a response of some kind. I didn't end up watching most of the matches in any case.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Kunal: Thanks for your post. I'm going to write a bit on the book very soon; would be nice to hear what you think.

Thanks for the link!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home