Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mishy, is it?

I've enjoyed watching Amit Mishra bowl thus far in this test (to be honest, I knew very little about him before his selection, and was surprised to note that he's been in contention as far back as 2002). He has a classical legspinner's action (and this was brought out most clearly when watching the side-by-side contrast with Cameron White's action). He bowls a very good stock leg-break, and his googly has already earned him some fame, thanks to his last-over dismissal of Clarke yesterday. I find it quite incredible that legspinners can maintain any control whatsoever, given the difficulty of their craft (hence my unbounded admiration for any and all legspinners that can do so, notably Warne). So far Mishra looks like someone that can, besides turning the ball, maintain reasonable control. I'm not sure whats going to happen to Mishra once Kumble makes his return (in Indian cricket, its hard to tell, as Mishra himself will tell you). But whatever the resolution of this particular tale, I'm glad to have seen a skilled practitioner of craft show that he is a potential long-term fixure in the Indian team.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gaurav Sethi said...

even in the IPL, Mishra came in late for 3D - takes a Mendis for us to know the impact of a new spinner in internationals. He had a good run in the IPL but wasn't always a regular, which was strange. Then he didn't play the Irani either. Clearly someone up there doesn't like him.

And boy, does this guy have control. Sure hope they handle him well.

2:33 AM  
Blogger Q said...

I saw him 1st in the IPL and was very impressed. I remember raising his case with Soulberry who mentioned that he had been in the reckoning for a long time and no one knew why chawla overtook him for a bit.

Mishra is impressive. Finally we have an exciting leggie after Warne.

2:40 AM  
Blogger Soulberry said...

Sounds more like Mushy...of Pervez fame. Just an assiociation in my mind.

Amit sounds fine...great in fact. Bachhan made a mountain out of it.

7:15 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

NC: I hope he is handled well. Not just by selectors but by his captains as well. A five-fer on debut should help his case.

Q: I saw very little of the IPL, and so missed seeing him in action. I'll have to dig out some of the highlights to see how he did in that sort of setting. It can only be good for India if Chawla and him compete a bit.

SB: Perish the thought! Mishy just happened to be what I picked up on the mic.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home