Saturday, March 22, 2008

A Man in White

Mukul Kesavan bids us farewell as he shuts down his cricket blog over at Cricinfo. I hope he resurrects the blog (or perhaps the Telegraph will be smart enough to keep on giving him column space). Kesavan managed to evoke ire like no other blogger at CI, and while his detractors frequently accused him of over-intellectualism and an anti-WhiteFolks streak (i.e., too much of an uppity Brown Man), it was my considered opinion that no one wrote more honestly or more thoughtfully at CI (which, frankly, is a bit too English-cricket-centric for my liking; I'm sorry, you've heard me say that before). I've been meaning, for ages, to write up a review of his book, Men in White, and perhaps this closing down of the blog will deliver that final kick up my backside and force me to write it up and send it out.

6 Comments:

Blogger Soulberry said...

It's been a worthwhile innings from Mukul. Plenty of good hits and a few misses. I hope he doesn't choose to retire from the game now and turns up for another match on another ground and plays an other innings...so we can have our heated debates and a chai later after the match. Mukul provoked thought.

Incidentally, he's the only writer at Cricinfo I actually bothered to follow or read regularly.

Since I stepped around the blogworld scene...besides Mukul, I've come across some great blogs. Karthikeyan, Sfx, Samir's Eye on Cricket, Homer's, and plenty more.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Jrod said...

I never thought of him as an uppity brown man. But thats a great phrase.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Gee, SB, thanks! :)

Yup, Mukul provoked thought and definitely brought some literary sparkle to the blogging business. Thats what you get when you get a novelist to write on cricket.

JRod: Thanks. I'm an uppity brown man at times :)

5:03 PM  
Blogger David Barry said...

Hi Samir. I think you just emailed me, but it got flushed down the spam filter. Sorry, please send it again.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Gaurav Sethi said...

Kesavan rock opera on SRT a few days back:

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/meninwhite/archives/2008/03/the_beginning_of_the_end.php#more

12:36 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

NC: Thanks. I saw that post. While I think MK was perhaps over-reacting a bit to a hasty comment, I do think there is some truth in there about the slow ascendancy (bolstered) by television of the alternate forms of the game.

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home