Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hammond, er, sorry, McCabe

Tony Greig lets us have his All-Time England XI. I'm not quite sure what the point is of giving us XIs of players that the selector in question hasn't seen playing but whatever, its a pretty common exercise, and at times I've fallen into the same trap. But the transcript contains an interesting error. Speaking of Wally Hammond, Greig says:
He's the guy about whom the great Don Bradman said to his team, 'you'd better watch this closely, because it's an incredible innings that he's playing here.'
Er, actually, the player that Bradman was talking about was Stan McCabe and the innings he was referring to was McCabe's 232 at Trent Bridge in the 1938 series. C'mon Greigy, you can do better than that. You are a former England captain aren't you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Cricket Guru said...

Tony's gaffe notwithstanding, it atleast made sense that a former England captain was choosing an all time English XI.

I was baffled to read Tony Greig selecting an all time Indian XI, few days ago. Why this farce?

I actually like to compare players of different eras. I can understand an Indian captain (and someone knowledgeable too) working on it. But Tony Greig?

Needless to add, he came up with a crap team, which had only one opener and Javagal Srinath in it!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Hi, nice blog - I've just found it and I fine it very interesting to read the Indian viewpoint, being an Englishman.

Anyway, I was wondering if you would like to exchange links with my cricket blog (I'll add yours shortly)? Also, seeing your interest in cricketing history, be nice to get your thoughts on my work on the Greatest Test XI of the last century.

Cheers

7:24 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Cricket guru: I did find the inclusion of Srinath absolutely hilarious. Some Greig considers himself an expert on the subcontinent, and so, there you have it.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home