Thursday, June 28, 2007

A letter to Cricinfo

Folks, I think you need to acknowledge you have a problem with your England-centric coverage. I wrote an email some months ago, referring to an article by Andrew Miller (on eleven great comebacks in test cricket), which sparked an irate, defensive response from Andrew himself. Now, check out this latest piece by Martin Williamson on unusual interruptions for play. This article is the best illustration of how it seems to some of your writers that cricket is only played in, or by, England. Look at the interruptions listed:

  1. Snow - county cricket
  2. Plague - county cricket, school cricket in England
  3. Cold - county cricket
  4. Heat - county cricket again
  5. Sun - oh, wait, now its one-day cricket in England
  6. Eclipse - a test involving England
  7. Bomb threat - woah, England again!
  8. Elections - oh, its the Rest of the World against England
  9. Death - a test involving, wait for it, England!
  10. Politics - of course, who else, England

Just off the top of my head, I could point you to the Bangalore test in the 1978-79 series between the West Indies and India (sorry, England wasn't playing). The last day was called off because of the fear of political unrest in the city (the test was poised for a great finish; check out the archives).This was a test, and a real, high-quality cricketing situation was developing, and it was cruelly denied us. But the test was played in India, and it didn't involve England. Perhaps thats why it doesn't register on radars anywhere.

Best,
Samir

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

I am interested in doing a link exchange. I am providing the following details to my blog:

Name: Kunal
URL: http://www.kunalnanda.com/cricket
Title: The Cricket Blog
Email: kunal dot nanda at gmail dot com

I have added the link to your blog, can you please add mine and reply back. If you are not interested in Link Exchange, please reply back so I can remove the link to your blog.

Thanks and regards
Kunal

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have a deal to propose to you. I would like to ask you to do a link-excahange with your blog and mine.
My blog is : www dot cricketforecast dot blogspot dot com.
I'm sure that it would benefit the both of us.
Awaiting your reply.

Regards,
Cricket forecast
stocksensex at gmail dot com

12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home