Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The missing leather sphere

I can't believe I don't own a cricket balll; one I could keep on a shelf, and occasionally pick up just to sense that old familiar weight, to run my fingers over its seam, to toss it up a bit, twirl it around just a little to evoke those old fantasies of being able to bowl a leg-break (I never learned how to; instead I bowled googly after googly, effortlessly bowling offspinners with a legbreak action). But mainly, the cricket ball would be a good technology demonstrator, useful in so many different ways. I could show my New York friends just how hard the ball was, so they could understand why it was such a fearsome thing in the hands of West Indians in years gone by, and in Pakistanis' in the 1990s, why bowling spin was such a black art, why taking catches in the slip region and at point was such a skill (maybe I could walk them down to Prospect Park and make them go through a little catching practice, and just to be a little mischevious, would throw the odd ball a little harder just so that it could smack their palms with that satisfying 'splat'). Maybe I could do the same with my wife (except the bit about catching practice in Prospect Park). But mostly, I'd like to have a cricket ball at home because it would make daydreaming a little easier; it would be so much easier to go the whole hog - when it comes to conjuring up those memories - with a cricket ball in hand. I couldn't mark out a run-up in this small living-room of mine, but just the act of tossing the ball up would tickle that part of my cranium that acts as repository for those flickering memories, some real, some imagined.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful post , samir !

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant!!

1:48 AM  
Blogger The Atheist said...

I love my cricket ball.

I mess about with it all the time. I haven't played in years, but it's nice to play around.

Eventually, my lack of skills remind me when I stopped playing. Every one gets annoyed with the constant noise of a dropped cricket ball, and back it goes on the shelf...

Happy days.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Sfx, Homer: Thanks for the appreciation :)
I think conversations with baseball fans would really be enhanced with a ball handy. Especially those that know somethign about pitching and its craft.

Atheist: I agree, and I suspect that once I succumb to the temptation of tossing the ball around at home, I will be replacing broken objects of all sorts.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not exactly Samir, you won't have to replace broken objects. for a cricket fan, cricket ball can be as sweet as any other ball in the world, except the exceptions!!

I can tell you that, because I'm keeping a good quality leather cricket ball (with seam) for almost 2 years, since I've been writing about the game. Can't recall a moment of breaking objects, but yes ~ I'm little quite at mind. May be you are little more prone to over-exitement than me, which I feel is the case after reading your wonderful post.

Came here first time n loved your blog. Keep writing coz you can. n get a cricket ball someday, I assure you'll not regret it.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home