Friday, November 30, 2007

The blue moon is here

Four years ago, I stood in a Bangladeshi restaurant in Manhattan, watching the Indian team complete their win over Pakistan in the 2003 World Cup. It was about 10 in the morning, and I had stayed awake (on my feet, no seats mind you) all night. I was tired, utterly exhausted but elated. A few feet away from me, a young Pakistani supporter sat downcast, cradling his head in his hands. I stared at him, reading his utterly shattered expression, and experienced a strange emotion: I was actually feeling sorry for a Pakistani fan. This evening, as I caught up with the highlights for the first day's play (I had only been able to watch the pre-lunch session last night), I realized I'd come close to feeling that other rare emotion: feeling sorry for the Pakistani team. This bedraggled, morose, injury-stricken mob is not a team. Perhaps they'll pick themselves up off the ground. For the sake of the cricket fan, I hope so. Yesterday's performance at the Eden Gardens was terrible; it started with the bizarre selection of Akhtar and continued with the uninspired bowling and fielding, and limpid body language all day (And yes, practice before a test has claimed another victim, this time the Pakistani captain).

4 Comments:

Blogger Viswanathan said...

You summed it up perfectly.

Their performance yesterday was pathetic.

Really, felt sorry for Akthar. The man is ill and yet to come out and bowl is beyond the call of duty.

The constant grin on Younis visage is setting my teeth on the edge.

Wonder what a Pakistan fan thinks about his grin?

9:41 PM  
Blogger straight point said...

its not only sorry for pak but for the state of game...its as bad an advertisement of test cricket as it can be...even festive matches has more intensity...fans all over want to see a contest on field but not this rudderless, pride less, disgraceful assembling pretending as a team...i can already see lots of pak fan utterly disgusted and in despair...

3:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't feel sorry at all. The downcast expressions come because of the oppositions superior performance. What we need to do is make sure that we keep them done and inflict a crushing victory...

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That should read as "keep them down"...

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home