Friday, March 06, 2009

What do Phillip Hughes and Kapil Dev have in common?

A few seconds after Phillip Hughes reached his maiden century by thumping Paul Harris for two sixes, Mark Nicholas asked, "I wonder how many people have reached their maiden centuries with a six? I mean, I imagine the Kapil Devs and the Ian Bothams got to 100s with sixes after scoring their first centuries, but really, how many reached their maiden tons with a six?".

Well, you just named one, Mark. Kapil Dev reached his maiden century (going from 98 to 104), at the Ferozeshah Kotla, against Alvin Kallicharran's West Indians, on 27th January 1979 with a flicked six off Norbert Phillip - it soared over deep-backward square-leg . Kapil would have reached his 100 on January 26th (Republic Day), but in those days, test matches had rest days.

All said and done, I'd have to say Hughes' romp in that over against Harris was way more dramatic. Kapil was not playing in his second test match; he was flogging a tired, dispirited West Indian attack on the third day of the fifth test of a six-test series; and more to the point, Hughes went from 89 to 105 in the same over, on the first day of a test.

Labels: , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Samir, He actually asked if anyone had ever gone to the maiden test hundred with two sixes. He thought that Kapil had done it with one, but wondered if anyone else had done that.

Not heard whether anyone else has done that.

8:43 AM  
Blogger samir said...

Suave: I'm pretty sure he was just checking on whether anyone had attained the maiden hundred with a six. I'm happy to go check the transcript when the highlights come on later :)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Jaunty Quicksand said...

I just went through the replay (I use the internet portal Willow TV) and Mark Nicholas definitely says "... have gone six-six to get to their maiden hundred". He was referring to two sixes to get there.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Rishabh said...

This guy, Philip Hughes looks a great potential and I do have a feeling that he will emerge as one of the best opener of the modern era of cricket. Though I know that's it too early to say anything and when it comes to modern era, guys like Gambhir and Sehwag will give him a tough competition.

P.S.: I have blogrolled you.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Tony.T said...

I think Andrew Symonds did, too.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Tony.T said...

Here it is:

75.2 Collingwood to Symonds, SIX, swinging into Symonds and he lofts it straight over Collingwood's head for six! What a shot with which to bring up your maiden Test hundred. He raises his arms and receives huge congratulations from Hayden

11:23 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

JQ: Thanks - I still haven't checked, but will take your word for it.

Rishabh: Hughes is definitely a feisty character. I'm still waiting to see how Gambhir does overseas before I make any calls on him (he is a Delhi boy so I have high expectations).

Tony: Thanks! Don't know how I forgot that - saw it on the telly when it happened.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Rishabh said...

yeah me too Samir. I expect a lot from both - Viru and Gambhir...especially after the IPL.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Samir,
I am not sure if it is fact or urban legend. Read somewhere that Kapil was 98 not out the earlier day. His monther came from Chandigarh to watch his son complete the hundred and he obliged her in style.

- Ravi

12:51 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Ravi: Fact. I saw it on TV :) He was indeed 98 not out, and went to 104 with the six. I don't know about the mother-from-Chandigarh business.

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home