Friday, May 16, 2008

Cricket and the love of wisdom

At various points in the past, I've attempted to link up philosophy and cricket on this blog. Sometimes by shamelessly plugging a paper on the morality of cricketing practices that I co-authored, and on another occasion, by announcing a grand project to collect references to cricket in the philosophical literature. On the latter front, I collected three examples. One was Austin on cricket balls. Another was Austin (again!) on the word 'real'. And then one, which wasn't so much philosophy but a poem by John Forbes which was about cricket and Richard Rorty. I know there at least three philosophers out there that read this blog (Yes, this means you: Atheist, DS Henry and Johnno!). I could use some more help collecting references to cricket in the philosophical literature. So, like, if you have any, please send them in. (If I was looking for references to Aussie Rules, I'd just consult David Lewis).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Off the top of my head, I know Michael Oakeshott mentioned cricket a few times. (He analogises the MCC to rising states, or something like that.) Try "On Being Conservative". The last paragraph includes a great sentence:

"When we are young we are not disposed to make concessions to the world; we never feel the balance of a thing in our hands - unless it be a cricket bat."

8:25 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

DS: Thanks; I'll chase that down. That line is indeed a nice one. Keep 'em coming, spread the word and so on.

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude pls link my blog onto yoyr site as I've done regarding yours...CRICKETAHEAD

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home