Monday, September 03, 2007

No worries

Try as I might (not that I try too hard) its not easy for me to get excited about one-day cricket. India won yesterday, kept the series alive, and yet, there was still something ho-hum about the whole thing. There are too many of the damn things; its hard to keep count; the scripts are all too familiar; and worse of all, for a stat-obsessed wingnut like me, the fact that one-day records "don't count" just makes it all the worse. One-day tournaments fare a little better (though this last World Cup tried to make sure that I lost any interest I had in those as well). A knock-out match of some kind fares the best as far as my interest goes. If this series goes to down to the wire, perhaps I'll get slightly worked up. So, whatever Dravid's worries about fans back home not remembering the test series win if the one-day series is lost, he needn't worry about me. Even a 2-5 can't wipe out that particular 1-0.

5 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Correct, man. Can't bring myself to bunk work to watch a one-dayer anymore. Used to be able to do that. Test cricket at its best is theatre. ODI cricket at its best is Gemini circus.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

John,

Given that there are so many test matches, what chance do ODIs have in our minds? I wish we could have had a full five-test series against England.

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cold not even muster enough passion to write about it all. This seems so dull after an intense test series.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SC

for all worthy glorification of test series we must not forget that we have a job at our hand and we must do justice to our potential as a team be it Tests or ODIs...

its a fact that we can not ignore and should not ignore that any team has to excel in both forms of game to be called good if not superior...

WI in their heydays and AUS now both dominated world in both forma of game and they never said that look we have won a test series so excuse ourself if we play so badly after that...

that what i feel IMHO...

3:56 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Well, I think today's match certainly lifted things out of the doldrums!

Straight Point: Thats a fair point. I think one thing I was discounting the effect it could have on the team itself. There is some overlap between the two teams and losses (no matter what form of cricket they are in) do hurt. And furthermore, a loss in one-day cricket will display some form of cricketing weakness (whether its bowling, fielding or batting) - those weaknesses still need to be worked on if the team is to be a champion team. As you point out, the best teams of the past and the present excel in both forms - largely because they have the fundamentals right.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home