Saturday, August 04, 2007

A hint?

I hate to say this, but I think Sreesanth might be dropped for the Oval as part disciplinary measure, and part cricketing judgment on his bowling. Why do I think this? Well, first, Sreesanth was not picked for the tour game against Sri Lanka A team. If the team management did have confidence in him, they would have given him the match practice of a tour game to enable him to bowl himself back into form. Instead, both Bose and Sharma get a full-blooded chance to impress the selectors. But the clincher for me, is the timing of the declaration by India in the first innings. 238/5 in 68 overs in response to a total of 266 by the Lankans is neither here nor there. Dravid was not out on 67 and Yuvraj on 15. Both those bats could have done with a little more batting out there. Instead, India has declared and its the bowlers who get a chance to do another extended stint out in the middle. For what its worth, I don't think Bose or Sharma are on the same planet as Sreesanth; but I've seen too many instances of bizarre selection by India in the past to have any faith that commonsense will prevail.

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

I don't think it'd be absurd to give Ramesh Powar a game (and can't he bat reasonably?) But if it's to be a seamer, I agree Sree's the best option.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hmmm... hadn't thought of the significance of sree santh sitting out. for once, i think sticking with the winning combo for the oval would've been better... thanks for the comment and linking. i'll do the same. i like your writing. cheers.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Tim: Powar wouldn't be a bad replacement if the pitch called for a two-spin attack. On current form, Sree would have to make way for him. But if the Oval pitch is anything like its reported to be, then I wouldn't want either Bose or Sharma in there in place of Sree.

Sumit: I agree; changing this winning combo would only be justified if the Oval was turning from day two onwards. But it doesn't seem like its going to.

Need I add: I can hardly wait.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home