Thursday, May 10, 2007

At the boundaries

Some of you might remember me mentioning a collection of essays on the philosophy of cricket, titled At the Boundaries of Cricket, to be published by Taylor and Francis. My original post has more detail (and that link earlier in the paragraph has even more), but I just thought I'd let you know that a special issue of Sport and Society, containing all the essays therein, will be forthcoming in September 2007. The book will take just a little while longer, but its on its way, no worries. In our essay, 'Not Cricket', David Coady and I consider the moral standing of various practices in cricket, such as walking, Mankading, appealing when the batsman is known to be not-out etc. I think some of our conclusions might be surprising to some.

3 Comments:

Blogger Homer said...

couple of questions Samir

1. Is Sport and Society available in the United States?

2. Do you have any idea of the price break up for a single copy of "Sport and Society" ?

( I believe the prices listed on the website are for an annual subscription).

Cheers

12:54 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Homer, Sports and Society should be available in the US for sure. Also, I can find out the price for a single copy (its likely to be something ridiculous). One good way to get your hand on the issue would be to find a library with an electronic subscription (most academic libraries have large portfolios of electronic subscriptions to journals).

Thanks for the interest. I really want to get the word out about this issue. Perhaps I should contact someone at Cricinfo to see if they would mention it somewhere (I don't have an advertising budget :) so it'll have to be word of mouth for now).

Cheers,
Samir

7:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm really loving the India v. Bangladesh revenge tour. I was looking for a place to watch it online (I live in the US, no cricket on TV here) and I found this great website. Not only live streamed cricket, but chat and stats too. Take a look:

India v. Bangladesh Tour is available as LIVE Video and Video On Demand
on broadband at MediaZone Cricket: http://cricket.mediazone.com
MediaZone Cricket is a new broadband service with LIVE cricket, chat and
news. Check it out!

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home