Saturday, August 07, 2010

Very Very Special Indeed

There is plenty to be said about India's series-leveling win over at the P Sara Oval in Colombo, but for the time being, a quick quote from a post yesterday:
For my money, the key man tomorrow is Laxman. His natural style is to continue go for his strokes and as he showed back in Chennai 2001, while everyone else is panicking around him, he makes runs.
I tried and I tried, but I couldn't stay awake past 1:45 AM this morning. I then scrambled out of bed at 5:40 AM to find the game over and done with. It will have to be the highlights for me, but I'm still glad that I managed to stay awake till VVS started playing in familiar fashion: a refusal to block, a willingness to send the bad ball to the boundary, and the ability to conjure up a sublime stroke or two when needed.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jaunty Quicksand said...

Not surprising (to those who know me), I watched every ball. Laxman was something else altogether. Where SRT was fidgety and seemed a little nervous, Laxman hid those inner demons very well. If you subscribe to WillowTV, use their interactive scorecard and watch the entire inning. It is a lesson in absorbing pressure and playing to your strengths.

I love seeing Laxman's battisi smile. It means something really good has happened to the Indian team.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

JQ: I think VVS' best quality as a batsman in these sorts of situations is that the business of scoring runs never plays second fiddle to survival. Steve Waugh, in commenting on the Chennai 2001 test, said that he was the only batsman thinking about scoring runs while the others imagined it would happen of its own accord!

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home