Tuesday, October 09, 2007

One for the shrink

Its been a long time since I had one of these (so long that I'm not even sure I ever had one). I speak, of course, of a cricketing nightmare. Not the kind where you are actually playing a match and you drop the opposition's star batsman with one wicket to get. No, the kind where you're fast asleep at home, and the same thing happens in your dreams. Now, in this one, which occurred last night, I didn't drop a catch. But I did something that was guaranteed to bring out the cold sweats in me. So here I am at widish cover, watching as the bowler runs in, and delivers a ball, (short and wide crap), which the batsman lashes away square of the wicket. I run around in slow motion, and the ball slows up as well. But then as I reach down, I miss the ball completely. Gosh dang it. So I run after the ball (feeling like I'm running through molasses with all the grace of a pregnant emu) and catch up with the ball (I think; my memory fails me now). Then, I pick up the ball, and throw it. It flies away at a forty-five degree angle, and falls about 10 meters away. I wake up, before I hear the hysterical cackling from the galleries, and the curses from my team-mates. It was terrible; the whole thing was just one frozen tableau of singular incompetence.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found your site very use full and want to link back to you, if you are intersted.
after putting my link to your site please mail me at cricket_village@yahoo.com

my link is:

Online Cricket Updates

4:15 AM  
Blogger Jrod said...

I have a recurring dream that i can't cover drive along the ground any more.

Its a bit odd.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Stuart said...

Its funny - I used to have a recurring dream in which I am running between the wickets. I am nearly run-out, but the throw goes over the keepers head. My partner calls me through again, and again I am struggling to make my ground, but the throw goes astray again. My partner again calls me through and I am even further out ... and then I wake up.

I can still recall the growing sense of panic in each run, as I am further and further behind, with my partner pressuring me to keep running.

Weird stuff. As a psych. I assume that it means I have problems with my mother or something :)

10:51 PM  
Blogger Soulberry said...

The only recurring dream I seem to have/had on a cricketing theme is my addiction to hitting sixes. I can't tell you the anxiety that habit arouses in me. Like you said, I always wake up in cold sweat. Think I should join the Sixes Anonymous to get rid of that habit.

6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home