Wednesday, July 25, 2007

New age, eh?

Perhaps I'm just an old-fashioned fogey, but could someone explain to me how the following description of the Indian team's practice sessions indicates work on dealing with late swing (the main problem the Indian bats had in the first test)?:
The Indians were originally supposed to practice at Trent Bridge but changed their plans this morning because of incessant showers. The practice itself saw some innovations, with the batsmen trying out strokes with the wrong hand against deliveries bowled underarm. Ganguly did take part in that session, batting right-handed, and even padded up to face the bowling machine later but decided against it towards the end. The senior bowlers weren't present and it was mainly Ishant Sharma and Mahendra Singh Dhoni, the wicketkeeper, who did the bowling.
From this article, which also talks about a niggling back problem that afflicts Ganguly.

3 Comments:

Blogger kamrul hasan said...

nice article. i didn't ever see this type of article before. really nice. carry on. you will get success.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Soulberry said...

I was wondering about the same when I saw mirror-image pictures of the batsmen in today's newspaper. For a moment, I thought the Editor (or whoever looks after such things) missed it completely.

The only explanation I could think of was that it is only to promote watching the ball more closely.

I'm ambidexterous (Sachin too I learnt!) though I started playing with my left later than right. I felt one had to watch the ball lot closer when I started playing left for a while in my youth due to an injury to my right hand which left it weak for a while.

Then, I noticed then that the feet do not get into the right position - we think they are and we have accommodated for the line of the ball - but find not. Once you get used to it, the adjustments are made. I can't say about the swing but certainly the judgement of line was not perfect initially.

Did it help while batting right? - Not to me, or maybe I didn't notice any advantage.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Kamrul, thanks for your comment. I'm not always as regular as I'd like to be when it comes to blogging. But I'll keep trying :)

Soulberry: yes, I'm not sure that exercises will help watching the ball more closely (and even if it did, why not practice with the hand you are going to be using in an actual match situation to improve your hand-eye co-ordination?). I suspect its more to just introduce some variety into training routines.

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home