Monday, June 11, 2007

Square one

Chuckle. Graham Ford has turned down the job offer to be Indian coach. The money might have been good, but perhaps dealing with seniors reluctant to do fielding practice, a ferocious, man-eating media, and a billion or so fans wasn't his cup of tea. Can't really blame him. (Ford must have known too, that expectations were too high, "Oh, he's now going to set right everything that Chappell got wrong"). Will Emburey get the gig? I doubt it - as I doubt he was a viable candidate to begin with. Perhaps India should look for a bowling and fielding coach, and appoint a stop-gap manager for the England tour. And give Dravid full control over the team.

Meanwhile, the West Indies are putting on a great chase at Old Trafford. No matter what the end-result, they'll have done a great deal to restore some West Indian pride with this effort. I guess Chanderpaul's innings thus far shows that grit and sheer bloody-mindedness can take you a long way (whats that? we already knew that? Fine, have it your way).

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the usual "The great BCCI Tamasha" at its best. I am at a loss for words!

By the by, I do hope that Emburey does not get The Job. Who the hell is he anyway? Never heard of him.

9:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Emburey is a former English off spinner with a mould of Ashley Giles. He has had a very little success as county coach.

Siddhu thrashed him in the English tour of 1992-93.

12:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Samir

Tell me you wouldn't mean this gent in the first hundred guesses when you meant stop-gap manager ....

9:11 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Sfx, are you referring to Emburey? I wouldn't want him as stop-gap manager, no!

And Superunknown, thanks for answering Megha's query. I've only seen Emburey bowl in the 1981-82 timeframe. Not a very impressive off-spinner - though I wouldn't hold that against him as a coach. Its his lack of success as a coach thats the problem. Incidentally, its worth pointing out that Greg Chappell didn't arrive in India with such a great coaching record anyway (I think name value in his case really made a difference).

11:35 AM  
Blogger Samir Chopra said...

Sfx, I just saw the news about Borde appointed as stop-gap manager! Good Lord. I had no idea.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home