Thursday, January 16, 2014

Of Editors Eating Their Own Words and Mistaken Credit - The Saga Continues

As a follow-up to the last post, here is an update in the form of new correspondence from the gentleman that wrote to me. My reply follows.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 07:49:12 -0500
From: Man Panwar <mspanwar@XXX.com>
To: schopra@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu
Subject: Retraction of Letter to Wisden

Dear Samir,

I sent you an email on 30 Dec with a simple request to retract your outrageous statement that some one called PR Man Singh (!) wrote that piece. You have been silent. I wanted to forget this incident, but your silence in the matter is deplorable. If you do not retract it, I may take it to the next level, which I really do not want to do. Your call.

Regards

Man Singh

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 12:42:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Samir Chopra <schopra@sci.brooklyn.cuny.edu>
To: Man Panwar <mspanwar@XXX.com>
Subject: Re: Retraction of Letter to Wisden

Dear Mr. Panwar,

Thanks for your email. May I ask if you have a copy of the letters to the
editor section with your letter and the photo of David Frith eating his
words? If I have indeed confused you with the erstwhile manager of the
Indian cricket team PR Man Singh, a simple enough error of memory, not entirely surprising given the antiquity of that epistolary exchange, and surely not as 'outrageous' as you seem to think it is, then I welcome correction. (I did, after all, in my original version of the post, confuse David Frith with Christopher Martin-Jenkins.)

However, at this stage, I have no evidence, besides your indignant
insistence, that you are indeed the original letter writer. You will
understand that I cannot make a 'retraction' and neither can Cricinfo make a correction to their page without such evidence.

best wishes,
Samir Chopra

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home